Friday, August 2, 2013

Mississippi Classic: Peach Cobbler

I hope you are ready for this! As promised in my last post, I am sharing with you my Big Mama's recipe for peach cobbler. This stuff is so fine, so simple, and so classically comforting. Anyone who has ever seen the classic Southern woman film Steel Magnolias can recite the classic "cuppa-cuppa-cuppa" recipe. This one starts with that same principal. I hope you make it and love it as much as I do! Serve it up hot out the oven with some vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or just some heavy cream poured over top. Hey, you can even eat it in all of its simple goodness with no additional treats and have a brief love affair with your spoon...and probably your bowl, too, when you finish. :)
 
Big Mama's Peach Cobbler
1 cup of flour
1 cup of sugar, divided in half, plus 2 T of sugar
1 cup of milk (whole or low fat work best, but skim will do in a pinch)
1 stick of butter, melted
1 t cinammon
1 t nutmeg
2 14 oz cans of peaches, mostly drained (feel free to sub in fresh peaches - about 2 cups)
 
(Do you see where the cuppa-cuppa-cuppa fits in?)
 
Step one, in your baking dish, put in your flour and a 1/2 cup of sugar and combine.
 

Next, add in your cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
 
 
Now, pour in your cup of milk...


and your melted butter. Stir until combined, but don't overwork it. You don't want to beat it to death.
 
 
In a bowl, add your mostly strained peaches and the other 1/2 cup of sugar. Stir them around and pour them over the top of your mixed batter.

 
Pop your pan into a 375 degree preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes until it starts to brown on top. This is where I add an awesome Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond's blackberry cobbler trick to my Big Mama's recipe. At the end of the cooking time, I sprinkle evenly over the top of the cobbler about 2 tablespoons of sugar. Then, I pop it back in the oven for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time. You could also put it under the broiler for a minute or two, but keep the door cracked and an eye on it so it doesn't go too far. This makes a delicious, crispy, carmelized crust over the top of the cobbler.


I wish I could add a final picture of the very final product, but I made this for company and it was inhaled right after emerging from the oven. The smell of this cooking in my kitchen and the taste of it when it is done brings me back to my Big Mama's trailer in the backwoods of Yazoo City, Mississippi. It truly comforts and warms me heart and soul, and I hope it will be for you, too!

Y'all Come Back Now, Ya Hear?
Brittney


3 comments:

  1. What temperature does this cook at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Drew. 375 degrees is the temp. Sorry this didn't reply directly to you sooner. My blog template had a glitch.

      Delete
  2. Drew- Thanks for bringing to my attention that this post was missing the temperature! It bakes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. I hope you enjoy, and come back and visit my site soon. :)

    ReplyDelete