Thursday, October 3, 2013

Gestational Diabetes Friendly Recipe: Spinach and Artichoke Chicken

So, if you have ever been to a restaurant or party in NOLA, you will know that a staple at many of our gatherings is spinach and artichoke dip. It is a warm, gooey, satisfying appetizer that is terrific with fried bowtie pasta or tortilla chips. It's a staple on many local places' menus and on many a buffet at people's houses for parties, holidays, and sporting events. It can easily feed a crowd, and the leftovers keep really well. So, when I came across a recipe on Pinterest for Spinach and Artichoke Chicken from the awesome blog Sarah's Low Carb Life, I was stoked. I added the ingredients into the recipe builder of the myfitnesspal app on my phone, and it turned out a serving only has 9 grams of carbs. This is FABULOUS in terms of an entree for a GD mama! The recipe was simple and quick to make, and it served up a delicious, moist roasted chicken breast with a tasty, creamy sauce.

If you want to try out the recipe, you can find the link here: Spinach and Artichoke Chicken. I did make a couple of modifications. Before roasting the chicken, I salted and peppered it plus I added a sprinkle of Paul Pruddhome's poultry seasoning. For the spinach and artichoke topping, I used a small, finely chopped yellow onion in place of the shallots and used Blue Plate low fat mayo in place of full mayo. I also dropped in a couple of tablespoons of 1/3 less fat cream cheese. Pictures of my finished product are below. I didn't set a timer, and my pregnant brain left the dish in for an extra 5-10 minutes over the recipe's cook time; however, I LOVED the browned cheesy top and crispy bits on the edges.

The casserole dish with the Spinach and Artichoke Chicken.

My plate of food. One serving of Spinach and Artichoke Chicken with a side salad featuring romaine, cucumbers, shredded cheddar, real bacon bits, and Spitale's house dressing (local restaurant that sells its house dressing in grocery stores).
The recipe was so good that my mom made it on Tuesday for my sister and brother-in-law, and she said it turned out great and that they loved it! She served theirs over bowtie pasta. Give this recipe a try, and come back and visit again soon!

Be A Blessing,
Brittney

0 comments:

Post a Comment