Saturday, June 29, 2013

San Antonio Times

I spent most of my time this week in San Antonio, TX. It was hot, but it was such a fun city to visit, even if it was for work. I attended the 2013 ISTE conference at the convention center on the River Walk. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the city, and even more surprised at how capable I was of walking around in that heat five months pregnant without being super wiped out. 

My pregnancy story from the trip is that I had my first stranger ask me if I was expecting. Granted, he had quite the smell of beer on his person for lunch time; so I am sure his inhibitions were down to ask any woman such a question; but being as how my answer was yes, I was beaming when I replied. 

My pregnancy revelation was this: although people will try to push the expectations of their pregnancy experience onto you and your pregnancy, every pregnancy is different, and you shouldn't feel guilty about your pregnancy not fitting into their mold. Some people will say, "I was smaller when I was at your time," or, "I didn't tire out as easily," or any other number of things they did or did not experience the same way you are. While I appreciate advice, stories, and sentiments, I hope that women realize every pregnancy is as unique as the moms and babies that are involved in them. I just try to smile and carry on and pray to God to give me wisdom and patience. 

The River Walk in San Antonio was great! It is a great city for couples or families with older kids. Considering the river has no railing or divider of any kind between the river and the sidewalk, I don't think I would choose to bring small children with me there. Fantastic city to walk and sights to see. We saw the Alamo, the Tower of the Americas, and the Mexican marketplace. We also took a guided boat tour of the river which was very informative and a great little adventure. 

The food scene was pretty great, too! From breakfast tacos to wonderful steaks to German delis, there were terrific places to eat every day and within any budget. Shopping was plentiful, too. We went to the mall, and the Mexican market had tons of handmade garments, pottery, and jewelry to peruse. There is also a small artisan village near the convention center with lots of shops owned by local artists who sell their handmade jewelry, home decor, and many other creations. 

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the trip. 

The Alamo in all of its historical glory.

Our steak dinner at Rhene on the River. 

The Tower of the Americas. 

Our hotel from the boat tour.

I will be adding a list of the restaurants we visited with reviews soon in a separate post in case you will be making a trip there soon and want some food suggestions. Until then, I will be preparing for our annual 16 hour trek to Chicago to visit my parents. Until then, my Blogosphere friends...

Y'all Come Back Now, Ya Hear?
Brittney




0 comments:

Post a Comment